Put Your Mobile Goggles On!
A Mobile Marketing Dilemma – How to View Search as a Specific Mobile Device
“how do I search Google and view the web as a specific mobile device type and model”.
If you are not yet surfing the web on your mobile phone, you may not realize, that depending on the model of your phone you will have a completely different search experience.
When buying mobile media or advertising or sending traffic to a mobile website it is especially important to research how the search or website looks to a mobile user. And if you are paying for mobile advertising it is especially important to know how your ad will appear on various mobile devices.
Sometimes it can be a little complicated because if you want to see a landing page or a search the way the user does, unless you have the same mobile phone model, you don’t get to see the search the way the user sees it.
By using an online mobile browser emulator or simple browser agent switcher you can search the web as though you were a certain mobile phone by tricking the browser into thinking that you’re on maybe an iPhone, an Android or a blackberry.
Using Online Mobile Device Emulators and Previewers
Mobile device emulators allow you to browse the web as though you were browsing from a mobile device. Google provides a great resource on mobile emulator tools here.
If you would like to preview a webpage as a mobile device simply Use the free OfferMobi Preview tool
Now that can be really useful when you’re searching web pages on mobile and want to see what the competition is doing, you want to see what the users are seeing (for example if you are researching a mobile offer to promote).
You may also want to preview a web search in multiple mobile devices or compare a desktop search to a mobile search. Use the Free Offermobi comparison tool to quickly scope the competition or learn more about the difference in search results between desktop and mobile search results.
Another great online website that allows you to compare mobile searches as seen by multiple mobile phone device types is found at http://www.mobilemoxie.com/handset-emulators/search-engine-simulation/
To browse freely as a mobile phone I recommend using the Firefox User Agent Switcher Ad on.
The Firefox User Agent Switcher Ad On
Using online mobile emulators is great, but may be a little inconvenient to use as a constant solution. This is where installing a browser user agent switcher can come in handy.
The Firefox User Agent Switcher free Ad On allows you to surf the web as a mobile phone of your choice fooling the browser to believe you are really browsing from that device.
How to Install the Firefox User Agent Switcher Ad On
- Install the Firefox Browser at http://www.mozilla.org/ (if you don’t already have it installed). ** You can have multiple web browsers installed on your computer. So even if you are accustomed to browsing with Internet Explorer or Google Chrome, you can still use Firefox for your mobile marketing research.
- Install the Add-Ons, go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/ I use the User Agent Switcher. There may be more than one on offer. I haven’t tried them all.
- Download a full list of User agents at http://techpatterns.com/forums/about304.html and save to your computer as a useragentswitcher xml file.
- Import the user agents list to Firefox – Click on Tools > Default User Agent > Edit User Agents. Click on Import and select the useragentswitcher xml file saved to your computer. All the User Agents automatically get added in to your Firefox Ad on.
- Browse the web as a mobile device. Open a Firefox browser window and Go to Tools > Default User Agent > Mobile Devices. This will help you to see how the searches look like and what pages look like in different mobile devices in different browsers.
Now it’s time to take some action and get your mobile goggles on!
More great info on how to make money with mobile in the Mobile Money Bandits Course (my sponsored link ;))