Most people think of iPhone or Android Apps as a one time purchase form the App store. Typically you can monetize these further by sending out “push notifications” to your users.
Imagine you could sell an app that can generate a steady recurring income, each download would instantly become even more valuable.
When it comes to the exploding world of Tablet Apps, publishing your own magazine to the iPad Bookshelf is the way to go!
Tap into this Amazing opportunity to dominate the Tablet Magazine space .
Building Magazine Apps for the Apple Bookstore – The Basics of Running A Magazine
Magazine Apps are similar in concept to a printed magazine.
- Each tablet Magazine has a name and perhaps a logo and of course a cover image.
- Magazine iPad apps can differ in the number of issues and publishing frequency. For example you may choose to publish a new issue every week or every month.
- Magazine app content can be varied and this is one of the main ways to monetize your magazine further. Include your own ads or sell ad space in your Magazine, leverage existing advertising networks, collect leads and even sell products right from within the app on the Tablet. (This is pretty amazing!).
- Your iPad magazine can contain videos and other cool interactive content and the best part is that you can update the magazine content whenever you choose and your additions or changes will automatically be pushed out to your subscribers (see full list below).
- Your Magazine launch strategy – You can opt to provide your Newsstand publication for free or charge a subscription price. Apple automatically handles billing and renewal. See more iPad App Magazine Marketing Strategies here.
Interactive Features That Make Your Tablet Magazine Publication Come to Life
Adding interactive features to your publication is usually done by defining “hotspots” and adding your interactive content.
- Embedded Video & Audio – Embed Video or Audio within your app. When your reader taps on the hotspot, a video will play seamlessly within the page.
- Photo Gallery -Show impressive photo galleries within your app. Choose between scroll view, overlay view, grid view or a list view photo gallery.
- RSS – Show an RSS feed directly within the page and allow user to scroll.
- Textbox and graphical ads
- Opt in Box– Allow a subscriber to complete a form.
- Info Pop-up Overlay -Show detailed information about a specific topic. A reader can tap on a hotspot and see an overlay window describing more about that topic. Use this type of feature in conjunction with other call-to-actions like Tap-to-Call and Tap-to-Email.
- Map -Show an embedded map of a location and even allow the reader to get directions to that location.
- Internal Issue Links -Link to other pages within your publication.
- HyperLinks -Link to external webpages.
- Tap-to-call -When a reader taps on a phone number, they can immediately call that number.
- Tap-to-email – When a reader taps on an email address, allow them to send out an email from within your app.
The Challenge of Maintaining a Magazine App for iPad
The biggest challenge for Magazine publishers is creating and preparing content for print.
While this is a serious consideration for your business it may well be worth your time to hire an editor and pay them off the profits (which can be substantial).
UP till now creating a Tablet app for the Apple Newsstand was extremely technical. Currently there are a few online companies that provide a content management system and convert your content into HTML5 compatible content viable on a Tablet.
In true Duru fashion, I embarked on a journey to check out how to create a magazine for iPad.
Tablet Magazine Self Publishing Platforms – Online iPad Magazine Builders
Although you will be submitting your magazine app directly to the app store, using your iTunes Developer account, there are online publishing platforms that supply a convenient infrastructure for putting your content together and compiling it into a magazine as well as easy push notification or issue updates.
If you are a hard code coder, you do not need these platforms. For all the rest of us it now boils down to what each Magazine App Builder offers in terms of functionality, service and price.
These services are also an excellent starting point for Internet Marketers or PR services to use to create magazine iPad apps for their clients in addition to app marketing.
- Tapedition is a pricy and robust platform allowing you to design, manage and publish your Magazine App to the Apple Newsstand.
- iBuildApp – iBuild App is a great free online app maker. You Can use it to create all kindles of iPhone and Android apps. iBuildapp also supports the creation of simple Magazine apps for the Apple newstand for free. For more robust apps it makes sense to invest in a more robust service. Build your own Magazine app with iBuildapp here – http://ibuildapp.com/ipad_self_publishing/
- Mag+ – This is by far the best solution in terms of pricing. MapPlus allows you to download your Newsstand App on your own and you pay only when you publish. Mag Plus also allows you to create your Magazine app for Android or Kindle Fire! Check out their pricing here – http://www.magplus.com/what-is-magplus/how-much-does-magplus-cost/
- Magcast – Mid tier App Magazine Creation and publication platform by Ed Dale, cheaper than Tapedition and provides a complete training course within our membership http://magcast.co
The App Magazine publication platforms mentioned above differ greatly both in price and type of service provided, indicating this space is wide open for new players.
Are You Ready To Start Self Publishing Magazines for Tablets?
The tablet magazine news stand space is going to be a huge market, the few players already involved are raking it in. It will only be a matter of when and how you will create your first magazine app for iPad and how quickly publishing platforms will reduce their prices and increase value.
Keep your eyes peeled for giant leaps where tablet Magazine subscriptions are concerned!