What is a Visual Sitemap?
Sitemaps are files that detail the content of your site. In this article I will show you how to generate a visual sitemap for your site for the benefit of your browsers.
This is simply a page or collection of pages (depending on how much content you have on your site).
This sitemap is different than the XML sitemap you should create and submit in your Google Webmaster tools.
Why Generate and Publish a Visual Sitemap?
The visual sitemap is for your browsers. Some pages or posts on your site may be hard to find. Your visual sitemap will make it easy and fast for people to find information on your site, improving your site accessibility to everyone.
How to Generate and Publish Your Visual Sitemap in WordPress
Using the Dagon Design Sitemap Generator plugin for WordPress
In this 5 minute video I demonstrate installing and configuring the free Dagon Design Sitemap Generator plugin on my Thesis site and how I set up my Sitemap page.
Here is a recap of the steps:
- Install the Dagon Design Sitemap Generator plugin on your site
- Edit the plugin settings (accessible on your dashboard ->Settings->DDSitemapGen)Specify the sitemap page slug ( You will create this page in a moment 🙂 )
- Add a new page to your site.Enter your page slug (page URL), it must match the page slug entered in the plugin settings!Enter in the sitemap generation code and publish your page. The code looks like this –
- Check out your sitemap and edit your settings if you need to (to exclude pages or categories you may not have noticed initially)
- Add a link to you visual sitemap page in your site navigation or footer to help your visitors find it!
Have questions or comments? Share them below!