I guess it was just a matter of time until Google made another attempt at being social. It started with Buzz and went on to the abysmal Google Wave.
Facebook must have really irritated Google by taking their search and video search shares and are trying to strike back. It’s no secret that more traffic is now flowing through Facebook than through Google. Since then, Google have been working on their “social search”. You can already see personalized results in Google, such as Twitter profiles and more.
Now this search takes on a new face with the new Google +1 button.
The New Google +1 Not for Lonely Hearts
So the news is that soon everyone will be able to vote on sites within the search results. Google calls this +1
(see the +1 icon next to the search result?)
OK. So what does this mean???
There are a few things we need to think about –
- Do people always log in to their Google account?
- Does everyone have a Google account?
- How will this affect SEO
- Where will all the lonely hearts go??
- and many more 🙂
Personally I am a bit sick of Facebook (blasphemy!) though Facebook ads and pages are very useful and more friendly than Adwords. So how about Google +1? Time will tell.
How to Enable Google +1 in Your Google Account
In the mean time you can start playing around with this feature by:
- Log into your Google Account
- Complete your Google Profile if you haven’t already done so.
- Go to Google experimental and Join the experiment
- Start browsing and notice the +1 buttons next to each search result