Google Plus Post Automation and Syndication
In previous posts I show how to automate your Google+ posts to Feedburner and Twitter. This makes sense if you want to distribute links to your Google Plus posts on social media to draw more people to join you on Google Plus.
Sometimes however you may want to auto post items from your Google Plus profile or page to your blog.
While I don’t recommend automating this process completely, this article will show you how to install a special plugin in WordPress and set it up to accept posts from a Google Plus page.
Here is a video showing you the entire process of importing posts from Google+ to your Blog
When Should You Automate / Import Posting From Google Plus To Your WordPress Blog?
Usually your main objective is to bring people to your website from a social media platform such as Google Plus and keep them on your website once they land there, so it may seem counter intuitive (and rightfully so) to curate posts from social media.
- However, sometimes you may write a great post specifically on your Google Plus page or post and want it to be available on your website
- You may need additional posting activity on your website to ramp up your activity and feed.
This should not replace posting additional quality unique content on your website, rather it should serve as an additional source of content and activity.
Getting the Google+Blog Plugin
I highly recommend paying 10 bucks for the pro version, support the developer and get a back link free version.
Installing the Google Plus Blog WordPress Plugin
To install the plugin, simply go to the plugins area in your WordPress dashboard and select the “Add New” option.
Then click on “upload” and select the Google Plus Blog Plugin from your computer and hit “install”
Configuring the Google Plus Blog Plugin
You can also see the developer instructions here
- Get Your Google Plus API Key
- Your First step is to head on over the Google API Console and create a new project.
- Then you will need to activate the Google+ API service and accept the terms and conditions.
- Once the Google+ API service is activated, go to API Access. Copy your API Key and paste it into the Google+ Blog Plugin settings
- Next add in the 21 digits from your Google Plus Profile or page. You can import posts from multiple pages or from both your personal profile and page. To do so, simply add in each 21 digit profile number using a comma to separate each one.
- Determine how many posts you want to import on the first plugin run. After first import the Google+ to WordPress plugin will automatically import posts as they are published on Google Plus.
- Adjust the post settings to your liking, filter posts by Google Plus hash-tags
- Determine where your Google Plus Post will be posted on WordPress, whether to automate posting or accept as pending, post category and tags. I recommend adjusting the post status to Pending instead of the default Publish. This way you can add more content to the version on your blog.
Google Plus Posting Tips for Import to WordPress
When creating post on your Google Plus page or profile you intend to import to your blog follow these simple rules for best results:
Always include a title in your Google Plus post. To create a title, use the * before and after your title with no spaces. For example: *Example Google+ Title*
Use specific hash-tags for Google Plus posts you intend to import and filter for them in the plugin settings. This is especially useful if you set publishing to automatic and is recommended overall (less work filtering later).
Get started! Practice makes perfect…
Need help setting up auto posting from Google Plus to Your WordPress Blog? Contact me for help